Summary: Immerse yourself in the Peruvian Amazon forest and discover the enormous diversity of fauna and flora.
Duration: 4 days / 3 nights
Availability: All year
Price per person: US$ 689.00 (based on 2 persons)
Minimum: 1 person
Times: Dependent on flight times
Meeting point: Pick-up from your hotel
Cancellation policy: 30 days before scheduled start of the tour
Day 1: Cusco – Puerto Maldonado
Transfer to Cusco airport and flight to Puerto Maldonado (Peru’s biodiversity capital). Welcome from our local guide and transfer to the river port. Depending on the season, we may travel by vehicle to another port or board a canoe directly for the journey to the lodge. Upon arrival, you will be offered a welcome cocktail before being shown to your room. In the late afternoon, we’ll set off on an excursion to learn about the nocturnal life of the forest.
- Lunch and evening meal included
- Private transfer hotel-airport in Cusco
- Flight Cusco / Puerto Maldonado included (flight time: 35 minutes)
- Private transfer to the lodge by boat (traveling time: 2 hours)
- Trail walk with guide in English or Spanish
- Accommodation at Cayman Lodge
Day 2: Walk to Lake Sachavacayoc and canoe trip
After an early breakfast, we’ll set off on a two hour and thirty-minute walk through the forest to Lake Sachavacayoc, to see medicinal plants and different species of monkeys (howler monkeys, squirrel monkeys, titi monkeys). Upon arrival at Lake Sachavacayoc, we will board a boat and glide silently across the water in search of birdlife and giant otters. If we are lucky, we may even sight an anaconda. After a picnic lunch, we will return to the lodge with time for a rest in the lodge’s hammocks. Before dinner, we’ll board a boat and explore the riverbanks in search of caimans and capybaras (the world’s biggest rodents).
Breakfast, lunch and evening meal included
Trail walk with guide in English or Spanish – 4 to 5 hours
Accommodation at Cayman Lodge
Day 3: Excursion to Chuncho clay lick and El Gato waterfall
We will set off before dawn, at around 4:00 am, and head for the Chuncho clay lick before the macaws and parrots arrive. We will take up position on the beach opposite the clay lick and wait for the noisy macaws and parrots to arrive in their hundreds to feed on the clay and mineral salts they find in the riverside cliff.
We will have breakfast before setting off on an excursion in search of mammals (peccaries, tapirs and monkeys), and if we are lucky, we may even spot a jaguar. Leaving the area of the clay lick, we will head to the El Gato waterfall. After lunch, we will have time to swim near the waterfall and enjoy a relaxing moment. We will arrive back at the lodge in the late afternoon.
- Breakfast, lunch and evening meal included
- Excursion with guide in English or Spanish
- Accommodation at Cayman Lodge
Day 4: Puerto Maldonado – Lima
After breakfast, we will leave the lodge and head back to Puerto Maldonado. Be on the lookout for fauna and flora. This is a particularly good time to see animals as the forest awakens, especially howler monkeys. The guide will assist you at the airport and during departure procedures.
- Breakfast included, lunch and evening meal not included
- Private transfer by boat to Puerto Maldonado (traveling time: 2 hours)
- Private transfer to the airport in Puerto Maldonado.
- Flight Puerto Maldonado / Lima included (flight time: 1 hour 40 minutes)
- 3 nights in twin room at the Cayman Lodge.
- Domestic flight Cusco / Puerto Maldonado with corresponding airport tax.
- Domestic flight Puerto Maldonado / Lima with corresponding airport tax
- The following meals are included:
on Day 1: Lunch and evening meal
on Day 2: Breakfast, lunch and evening meal
on Day 3: Breakfast, lunch and evening meal
on Day 4: Breakfast included
- Local guide in English or Spanish during the excursions
- Escorted airport transfers with a Spanish-speaking driver
- Excursions and visits mentioned in the itinerary
- Not applicable
How to book:
- Select your departure date from the calendar.
- Select the time.
- Select the number of persons.
- Select the optional services you’d like to add.
- Click on “Book now”.
- Pay online.
Once you have completed payment, the booking will be subject to confirmation according to availability. If you’d like to check availability before paying, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to bring:
- Comfortable clothing, lightweight trousers for walks, long-sleeved shirt
- Sandals for use around the lodge and sports shoes (wellington boots will be provided in the event of rain)
- Mosquito repellent
- Sun block
- Rain jacket or rain poncho
- Flashlight (preferably frontal headlamp)
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a yellow fever vaccination obligatory?
In the Puerto Maldonado area yellow fever and malaria are not endemic; therefore, the yellow fever vaccination is not obligatory. However, visitors are recommended to seek medical advice before traveling.
If you cancel your booking 30 days before the scheduled start of the tour, we will refund 100% of the amount you paid at time of booking, except the plane tickets Cusco / Puerto Maldonado and Puerto Maldonado / Lima, for which refunds will be subject to the cancellation policy of the airline.